Friday, August 31, 2012

Transitioning Seasonal Decor

Where I was born in Montreal, Fall made a solid announcement. The days turned crisp, the leaves changed color, and people stopped wearing white when the kids went back to school after Labor Day.

Here in the Sacramento Valley where daytime temperatures will still hit in the 90's, if I want it to feel like Fall I have to make it happen myself. So I usher Fall into my house with a changing of the table runners, the placemats, the wreath on the door. I fill bowls with nuts and bring throw blankets out of the closet if only to drape on the backs of chairs for a while until we need them.

I'm not one to have closets full of things that rarely get used, so I try to have items that transition well with just a little effort. These glass candle holders are a great example. Simply add some fall color in the bottom, change out the candle and you have piece that warms up the mantle. Here we used corn in the bottom of one and a combination of corn and cinnamon sticks in another. We tied an autumn leaf around the candle with twine. Easy.

What are you doing to bring Fall in to your home?

No comments:

Post a Comment