Sunday, January 3, 2016

Feeding The Birds in Winter

I love having birds in the garden. I love the songs they sing up in the trees and I love to watch them take a bath in the fountain. I'm not really a bird watcher as a hobby, I just love their singing and their playful spirit. I also really like the fact that offer up some very natural pest management by eating aphids, spiders other bugs I may not want around.

Our garden has a fair amount of bushes and trees that do offer berries even in winter, but it's nice to offer up something extra this time of year when food is scarce. If you take the time to make sure your garden offers water and food all year then you will be able to enjoy the benefits of having birds year round.

Some people tell me that they don't want to put out seed because it germinates and creates weeds. If that's you, then try heating the seed to sterilize it. 5 minutes on high in the microwave or 30 minutes at 300 degrees in the oven should do the trick.

Last week I made some bird seed cakes to hang in the trees. I tried this recipe I found online and it was quick and easy. Then I used cookie cutters to make them fun shapes. The birds will be just as happy with some simple seed in a feeder, but I was drawn in by the cuteness factor of these cakes. Besides, you're never too old to play and smooshing sticky birdseed into heart forms is pretty fun stuff!

If you want to have a go, here's the recipe i used...

Bird Seed Cakes

4 cups wild bird seed
3/4 cup flower
1/2 cup warm/hot tap water
1 packet unflavored gelatin
3 Tbls corn syrup

In a large bowl mix the bird seed and flour until well blended. In a smaller bowl dissolve gelatin in water and add corn syrup. Pour liquid into bird seed mixture and stir well to combine. 

Spray your work surface and the insides of your cookie cutters with non stick spray. Pack the cutter with bird seed mixture, pressing down to make a dense cake. Use a straw or a kabob prong to make a hole near the top for string. You can use the same cutter over and over, just release from the cake carefully.

The cakes will need to air dry for about a week. I put them on a wire rack so they would get good air circulation. After about 4 days I got impatient and baked them for about an hour at 200 degrees. Worked like a charm! 

Next, thread with some string or colorful ribbon and they are ready for hanging outside. Have fun! 

Freshly smoothed into shapes!

Dried and strung with twine.

If you like the look but would rather a quicker solution, stop by The Secret Garden. I made lots!

Jennifer
The Secret Garden



No comments:

Post a Comment